The League of Women Voters of the Cincinnati Area, a political organization that never endorses or opposes candidates or political parties, invites you to join us as we make democracy work in our communities. Call 513-281-VOTE if you have questions. Learn more about LWVCA.
In just one month volunteers throughout Ohio collected over 100,000 signatures on petitions to reform the process of drawing Congressional districts. This was a tremendous effort and we need to keep rolling to get the over 300,000 valid signatures needed to get the initiative on the ballot in 2018. There are still lots of opportunities to get involved. If you have not yet been trained to circulate the petition, the League is conducting another Fair Districts training on Saturday August 5 from 10:00 a.m. to noon at the Community Action Agency, 1740 Langdon Farm Rd. in Cincinnati. Or you can take the training online at fairdistrictsohio.org, then stop by the League office to log out a petition. The League of Women Voters of Ohio is sponsoring a booth at the Ohio State Fair to help register voters and collect petition signatures. The fair runs from July 26 through August 6, 2017, and the booth must be staffed from 10 am to 9 pm daily. The League booth is in the North Marketplace, which is an indoor air-conditioned building. If you can take a shift or two, sign up on the Events page of fairdistrisohio.org. Ohio has a distribution requirement for the valid signatures. Petitioners must submit signatures equal to 5% of the county's total number of gubernatorial votes cast in the last election from 44 of Ohio's 88 counties. Hamilton County is one of only a few counties to have reached its 5% requirement in the first month, along with Adams, Athens, Delaware, Franklin, Greene, Licking and Mercer Counties. However, in addition to the county threshold, there is a 10% statewide requirement. So the Cincinnati Area League needs to keep collecting signatures in Hamilton County to help meet the larger state goal, while also focusing on Butler, Warren, and Clermont Counties.
Background: Ohio's Congressional districts are crazy shapes designed by political gerrymandering* to benefit one party. This is a nonpartisan issue. Both parties make use of gerrymandering to draw districts when they are in control. LWVO and other nonpartisan organizations drafted a citizens petition to get an Ohio constitutional amendment on the ballot to reform the Congressional districting process. The proposal will require:
Looking for some way special to enjoy the summer months? Check out League opportunities to educate Cincinnati Area voters leading to the 2017 election. There is a myriad of options to satisfy your talents and interests.
League of Women Voters
of the Cincinnati Area
103 Wm. Howard Taft Rd. Cincinnati OH 45219
[email the League]
Comments, suggestions, questions?
Contact our webmaster.
Disclaimer: All links to other web sites are provided for your convenience only. The League of Women Voters of the Cincinnati Area exercises no control of the information or opinions contained on them. Provision of these links on our site does not indicate an endorsement of their contents by the LWV of the Cincinnati Area.
Last revised: August 17, 2017 07:45 PDT.